You will meet individually or as a couple with a smoking cessation counselor at the Algonquin FHT offices in the Howland Building. Initial appointments are booked for an hour and follow-up appointments are usually ½ an hour. Some of the information you can expect to discuss includes:
- Review your smoking history
- Work with you to identify your smoking triggers and understand their role in a quit attempt
- Explore your reasons for quitting
- Learn about nicotine addiction and withdrawal
- Learn about the smoking cessations aids that can help you be successful
Individuals who are seeking assistance to help them reduce or quit smoking can refer themselves or their doctor/nurse practitioner can refer them for smoking cessation counseling. Referral to the nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) clinic requires a referral from your doctor or nurse practitioner.
There is no fee charged for these services, however the hospital charges a $5.00 parking fee at the Howland Building, payable by cash (loonies & toonies) only.
The Respiratory Health Program is based on the Canadian Respiratory Guidelines and the CAN-ADAPTT Canadian Smoking Cessation Guideline.